Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Remembrance by Michelle Madow {Book Review}

I came across this book via the authors blog, Michelle Madow's Blog. Upon reading the description, I felt like it had great potential to be a really interesting story.  I'm not normally one who is interested in stories about reincarnation, but this story is much more than a "reincarnation story".

There is a lot of great character development in this book. The MC, Lizzie Davenport, is your typical high school girl, not quite fitting into her boyfriend's world of "jocks". I was a little underwhelmed by her boyfriend, Jeremy's character, but I think that due to this fact, it sets up a stronger connection for what happens later in the book.

Anyway, the story starts off with setting the stage for the decline of Lizzie & Jeremy's relationship at the onset of the new school year.  In addition to relationship problems, in comes Drew -- a new student, who Lizzie immediately feels a connection with, even though she can't quite figure out why she feels so strongly.

The book progresses throughout the year and interactions transpire between Lizzie and Drew.  You start to find inklings of a prior connection between the two, though not from modern day.  It is done in such a way, through "flashbacks" that are well written and very interesting.

Towards the end of the book, there is good suspense built leading to the denouement.  I was really invested and pulling for Lizzie and Drew to work through what they were facing, and I'm glad that Ms. Madow crafted the book the way she did!  I will definitely be reading the books that follow this one, as this is book 1 of her Transcend Time saga .

Overall, this was a very pleasant reading experience. The only things that gave me a little pause were Jeremy's character and the fact that this story is basically an expansion of Taylor Swift's Love Story video.  Overall, taking a concept that you find elsewhere and making it your own can be very interesting, but when I first found the story, I thought that it was a completely original idea.  Not a huge thing, but it slightly lessened the experience for me.  I would definitely recommend this story as it was well written, interesting, and definitely draws you in/keeps you involved!

Ms. Madow has been very generous in allowing me to offer up a copy of her ebook for you, my dear readers, to win!  My next post will be the giveaway!

Also, be sure to check out the book on Goodreads and buy a copy on Amazon!

*Note* I was given a copy to review and Ms. Madow is providing the e-version for the giveaway. My opinions here are 100% my own, honest, and in no way affected by any outside source.

No comments: